By / Health / Wednesday, 17 July 2019 08:06

The Punjab Government has streamlined the process of distribution of disabilities certificates to the eligible beneficiaries by designating the competent authorities, Hospitals and Institutions where these disabilities certificates are to be issued to the beneficiaries.

Disclosing this in a press communiqué Mr. Balbir Singh Sidhu, Health & Family Welfare Minister said that it has brought to his notice that persons with disabilities have suffered a lot to get the disability certificates issued from the District and Sub-Divisional Government hospitals. He said that taking strong cognizance of this matter, the State Government has designated the institutes/ hospitals and competent authorities from where the beneficiaries could get their certificates within specified timeframe. He also said that strict guidelines have been issued to the Civil Surgeons being the head of the board at district level and their responsibility has been fixed to ensure the compliance of the Right of Person with Disability 2016 (RPWD-2016) which came in to force from 19 March, 2017.

Mr. Sidhu said that Civil Surgeons have also been instructed to make sure that board would assemble atleast ones a week to deal with all cases pertaining to disability certificates.  He said that no laxity would be tolerated in this regard and if any concerned officer indulges in dereliction of duty to issue certificate or delay the process without any particular reasons then that particular officer would be strictly dealt with.

Divulging further details, Mr. Balbir Singh Sidhu said that persons with the disability of locomotor such as permanent physical impairment of limbs, spine, amputations and permanent physical impairment in club foots and others would specifically get the certificates from all district and sub divisional hospitals.

Similarly persons with the disability due to chronic neurological condition, spinal cord injuries, acid attack victims, cerebral palsy affected, leprosy cured persons, short stature : Dwarfism and muscular dystrophy would get the certificates from all district hospital and sub divisional hospital where Ortho, Medical, Pediatric, Surgical and skin specialist are available. He said that for these disabilities certificates, consultation with tertiary level institution will be required. “The board will comprise of specialist in orthopedics and 1 specialist as nominated by the board head as per the condition of the person with disability such as pediatric, skin, neurological or medical etc.”, he said.

Adding further the Health Minister said that person with visual impairment disability would also get the certificate from all district hospital and SDH where eye specialist is available.

For the hearing impairment, speech and language impairment, the board will comprise of ENT Specialist, one Audiologist/ Speech language therapist as nominated by Civil Surgeon. The certificates would be issued with consultation of tertiary level institution at all district hospitals.

Likewise, Intelligence Disability and special learning disability would also be dealt at all District Hospitals while board will comprise of Pediatrician or Pediatric Neurologist/ Psychiatrist or Physician, Clinical or rehabilitation psychologist and Psychiatrist.

Similarly for Mental Illness Certificates, all district hospitals authorize to issue the certificates and board will comprise of Psychiatrist for clinical assessment and trained psychologist.

Mr. Balbir Singh Sidhu said that Persons with Disability caused due to Chronic Neurological Conditions (Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinsonism etc.), disability caused due to blood disorder and multiple disabilities would also get disability certificates at district hospitals with the concern of required specialists.     

Divulging about the compulsory consultation at the tertiary level instructions, he said that except of persons with the disability of Locomotor such as permanent physical impairment of limbs, spine, amputations and permanent physical impairment in club foots and others as mentioned, consultation with a tertiary level institution would be required in rest of all cases. If a particular specialist as described is not available then either the services of such a specialist would be arranged from nearby Government institution or the case itself would be referred to the nearest hospital.   

The Health Minister further said that Director, Health and Family Welfare is the appellate authority for all complaints/disputes related to disability.


Hum Hindustani

Hum Hindustani

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.